Cthulhu saves your head

This used the same pattern as the Bunny Hats in this post.  The idea started with The Squid’s obsession with Cthulhu, which arose as a result of the computer game Cthulhu Saves the World, and the dragon pattern in the Sew Baby book.

sewbaby2

These pictures are from Choly Knight’s Blog.  The green one in the centre is the dragon of inspiration.

I wanted to make the hat, but it turned out that The Squid didn’t want a Cthulhu hat, so I had to find someone who would like it.  However, a friend of TeddyBear’s was quite excited at the idea… so the idea could finally bear fruit.

After several months of the pieces sitting in my bag, I finally finished all my other, slightly more urgent, projects and could get on with this one.

I made it out of green polar fleece, which was much easier to sew than the fur that I used for the Bunny Hats.  My machine had enough trouble with the thickness of the fleece when I was trying to sew the wings to the hat, I hate to think what it would have to say about 6 layers of fur!

The basic hat was undifferent to the pattern.  The accessories were more interesting, and now that I look back at the original picture, completely different to the inspiring design!

The tentacles were merely thin-ish rectangular strips of fabric folded in half and sewn so that one end had a unilateral curve.  I then discovered what a bodkin was – they are cool!  I had read about them before in terms of the whole witchcraft thing – but had never made the effort to figure out what they were.  Although I am pretty sure that the bodkin that I used would not have been useful for poking witches, as it was more like this, with a hook and little clippy thing at the working end.

dscn5582-300x219

Image from This Creative Journey by Judy Nolan

So anyway, once the tentacles were all sewn and length matched, I sewed them on to the outer layer of the hat band.  They were then incorporated into the cap-to-hat-band seam, but I used a standard seam to attach them to the hat band, rather than tacking, to ensure that they were held more firmly to the hat.

The wings were initially sewn together and inserted through the centre back seam of the hat band.  However once the hat was assembled, I really felt that they were A: too big, and B: too floppy.  So things had to be disassembled and the wings ensmallened and stiffened.  I initially thought to use card or plastic inside the structure, but TeddyBear suggested that I use pipe-cleaners.  This lead to me making a loop of pipe-cleaner that filled the wing, with about 2.5cm of each end of the pipe cleaner sticking out the back of the wing.

The wings were then sewn (hand cranked, because my machine baulked at so many layers of fabric plus pipe-cleaner!) into the external side of the hat band, with the pipe-cleaners poking through into the inner section of the band.  The ends were then folded back along the hat band, and the inner layer of the hat band sewn over the top.  This gave the wings a bit of leverage to arrange them to stick out from the hat band.

20151228_162450

The eyes were something of an afterthought.  I am not sure why I hadn’t thought of them earlier, but thankfully TeddyBear had some perfect red velvet in his stash.  The eyes were stuck on using that fabulous sticky interfacing stuff and then I cursed and swore at my machine as I attempted to do the top stitching on a stretch base (I had forgotten to add a cotton backing to the fabric under the eyes to ensure that the feed dogs would pull the fabric through properly.  I’ll probably make that mistake again, but wouldn’t recommend it!

 

I was surprised at how un-annoying the tentacles were when wearing the hat – I thought they would be more obscuring of my vision than they were – as it was, they weren’t much more annoying than my hair!

Anyway, I think that in future attempts at this pattern when using polar-fleece, I’ll make the hat band a little narrower, and the part of the wings attaching to the hat band also narrower.  I’d probably also set them a little higher up.  Sewing the eyes on before assembling the pieces might also be a good plan.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s