A Jacket for Sans

So, DK has been obsessed with Undertale for the last six months.  Although it looks like a brilliant game with some great humour in it, it’s not really my cup of tea – I’m not a fan of bullet hell type games.

So anyway, this obsession has progressed into something of a passion for Sans, one of the NPCs in the game.  He’s a skeleton that wears a hoodie.  In the game, he’s just black and white.  In the fan art, he wears a blue hoodie and blue is apparently his colour.

A hoodie was requested.

I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a pattern that fit the specifications, and even more surprised at how difficult it was to find the right coloured fabric.  Based on the colour of most of the fan art I found on my phone whilst at Spotlight, I bought a lovely royal blue (which I colour checked with her Kittiness by emailing a photograph of before purchasing).  Once I got it home, it was deemed far too dark and we had to go on another mission to try to find the appropriate colour.

This mission was largely unsuccessful, and mostly led to complaints of boredom.  Eventually I found a sky blue, which I thought was completely wrong, but which DK decided was the right colour and pattern cutting began.

Initially, I decided to use NewLook Easy 6142, but the pattern pieces ended up looking more like a dress than a hoodie.  I did have a copy of the KwikSew Sewing for Children book lying around, and had planned on using it to help with the pockets (DK wanted a welt pocket, which the other pattern did not have).  This was actually quite a useful book, as it has several generic pattern pieces that can be essentially mix ‘n’ matched to make whatever you want.  It also fit rather better.

The process was ultimately pretty simple.  It was the first time I had ever done welt pockets, and the first one, I didn’t cut into the corners deeply enough – so they were less beautiful than I had hoped.  The location on the jacket was also odd – but I didn’t really notice this until I had finished – whereby I realised that it would have been better to have chosen the position of the pockets after trying the jacket on, rather than just going with the location given in the pattern.  I think the second pocket worked better than the first.

The other thing that I discovered with welt pockets is that the instructions make it look much harder than it really is.  At least, harder to do in a general sort of way.  They are definitely tricky to do brilliantly!

The hood posed another challenge.  The pattern called for a simple turning hem, with a tie threaded through it.  But DK wanted fur (fair enough – this is a cosplay costume after all).

The fur that we had chosen was extremely long pile, and I don’t usually sew fur with a machine – I much prefer hand sewing, as you don’t end up with fluff clogging the machine, and you can lift the pile out of the seam as you go.  However, for strength and neatness, I decided to go with a machine seam.

The first seam was relatively easy – right sides together stitching the fur to the hood.

The second seam was a little trickier and took some thought.  I finally decided to go with a top-stitching approach, as this would make the fur lie flat against the hood, so that the backing fabric wasn’t poking into her head.  How to keep the fur out of the machinery though?

Given that I was top-stitching, I wanted to have the foot on the outer surface, and the blue part, to keep the seam as even as possible. Also, the fur caught in the foot, which is annoying.  This meant that the fur had the potential to catch rather badly on the feeder teeth and gum up the bobbin mechanism, which was quite undesirable.  I had a bit of leftover pattern paper, so I pinned the hood to this and sewed the seam with the paper attached.  The paper then basically became perforated, and was really easy to rip off!  Go me!  I like when I have brilliant ideas!  I think it would probably have worked better with greaseproof paper than with the newsprint that I had, but it was generally successful.  The bobbin still got full of fluff and had to be cleaned before the tension went back to normal though :-(.

The ends of the fur were a bit tricky to tidy up, as they had to enclose the zipper. I ended up hand stitching these, just to make them as neat as possible, and I really didn’t feel like cleaning out the machine again for such small seams.

Basically, I trimmed the fur to about 2cm longer than the end of the hood and poked the ends, and the end of the zipper up inside the tube created by the fur trim.  I then used ladder stitch to close the pocket up and keep everything neat.  It seems to have worked, and will be simple enough to repair should my stitching be of inadequate quality.

So there you have it.  A hoodie that is apparently worthy of Sans (or if DK’s pose is to be believed, Cthulhu) himself.  As you can see, the pockets are a little high, and possibly a bit too widely set – but this will be easily resolved if I use this pattern again (and given that I have a pile of blue fleece that was bought for the purpose of this jacket, I may well break with tradition and make the same thing twice).

20161023_145749

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s